Tomorrow's blaster technology.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Happy New Year to the NIC

Happy New Year, everyone! In this giant article I'll be doing my best to catch up on all the stuff I missed during my long period of "blog silence," for lack of a better term. I set up a sort of "display" of all the topics in this article:



First, I will debut 3 new mods: The Kingfisher, a BuzzBee Range Master Extreme, and a HammerHead.

The Kingfisher is mostly a Retaliator with a bigger spring. It has a different barrel, a carbon fiber reinforced old Recon stock, and my handy virtual-image sight. It is a quiet, accurate blaster for shorter-range shots.



The HammerHead mods I did are rather simple. First, I replaced the recoil spring with a rubber band. I often do this to make blasters quieter. With TR blasters, however, quietness will never be their strong suit. The more important mod is that I lubricated the mechanisms with my own LubriKing concoction, a water-based light lubricant made for plastic parts that would normally rub and cause friction.



The LubriKing formula is simple: 2:1 of water and soap, and then add chalk dust. This forms soap micelles around the particles of chalk, making microscopic rollers that stay between parts and reduce friction. The result is a much faster TR blaster. however, the clip should never be lubricated, since the forward ring hook has to return to its original position before the ring falls into place, otherwise the blaster misfires and/or jams.

My brother bought me a Range Master Extreme for Christmas. It has a pneumatic reservoir and a pump, as opposed to the usual plunger piston. It works as a bolt-action rifle, with the bolt attached to the assembly of the entire firing mechanism. In this setup, the piston stays fixed while the cylinder, reservoir, valve and breech slide with the bolt handle.
I found it impossible to remove the AR from the breech. The AR in this blaster actually helps accelerate the dart in the little space that it has.



The power mod was simple enough: cover the limiter valve hole with a piece of tape. This allows the blaster to charge up 7 pumps, as opposed to the previous 4-5 pumps.
I also added a functioning optical scope to replace the plastic dummy sight that it came with.
In normal conditions, the blaster ranks in my high-power class with a muzzle velocity of about 85 ft/second. At 0°F, however, muzzle velocities were around 55 ft/second.

This leads right into the topic of the Earthglider, which I have mentioned before. It is basically a remote-controlled car with a shortened Nerf sword on the front. It has the capability to outrun a person in many situations, but I made it specially for winter. It will not run on snow that is too powdery, since it digs itself in and then must be retrieved.  Its soft tires spread its weight out more than a person in boots, so in most situations, it has the key advantage of being able to traverse on the snow, not through the snow.



I also pulled out my two other snipe blasters to compare to my new Extreme blaster.
As for speed, the new sniper falls short of the Pinpoint and the Blowsword, a mere 85 fps against 105 and 115. Its accuracy, however, is paramount. The Extreme darts are made with harder foam and much higher consistency. 


Have a happy 2014! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment